Monday, April 20, 2009

Bubba J


PLEASE watch this before reading any further:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMd8Pm-2EE

Bubba and I have been chatting online for a while now. He rides horses and lived in VA and just recently moved to the area. We have only been talking on the phone for the past week or so and they haven't been very long conversations. We had plans to go out on Saturday but on Thursday he called and said he had to work. He wanted to go out Sunday instead but I had a full day. I told him I would call him if I got finished at a decent hour.

So after working with a draft horse, doing body work on another, and going to a 12 inning baseball game I was still in a great mood and hadn't crashed yet so I called him. I wasn't expecting to go out but I had told him that I would call. We chatted while I drove home and he wanted to take me out for a sushi dinner to make up for cancelling. I said ok. I rushed to feed the horses, shower, and change.

When we had decided on where to go and what time he had asked me for directions. He said that he had passed it once but didn't know where it was. He said he came out of downtown went a few miles, turned right at a light, saw it on his left, then turned left onto a well know highway where there was a Starbucks....I waited and waited and waited. Finally I said....and you can't get back there? His light bulb FINALLY went off and he laughed and said oh yeah! He knew where it was and would see me at 8. Click.

As I realize what just happened I kicked myself for not having a "Are you smart enough to date me" test. UGH at least I get a free sushi dinner out of it....

Since I wasn't at work and didn't have a desk handy it was ::head steering wheel:: ::head steering wheel::

He shows up about 5 minutes late claiming he got lost....I was nice and didn't make the snarky comment that immediately popped into my head.

We sat down and the conversation was actually pretty good. We talked about a lot of different stuff even before we opened the menus. It was friendly and we laughed a lot. When it came time to order he said that couldn't order sushi without pictures so he wanted me to order for us. That we would just split 5-6 rolls. So I ordered 4 rolls that I knew that I liked and were very popular and then one to try. The waitress walks away and as we get ready to start talking again his cell phone rings. I had mine on silent but could see that I had missed 2 calls already....I hadn't even moved to clear the call or alert that I had missed the call.

HE ANSWERED

Not only did he answer but he sat AT THE TABLE and had a full conversation. If it had been important I would have apologized and walked outside to have the conversation. Ugh!

We ate and chatted through dinner and as we were getting finished with the last of the sushi he gave me a funny look. I asked him what was wrong and he said that he hadn't looked at the prices and was wondering how much I had spent on dinner. He said that he hadn't looked at the sushi prices and was worried that I had ordered too much. I told him the general prices of the rolls we had gotten.

When the bill came it was only $35. He seemed pleased but I was still annoyed that it was blamed on me!

I had been able to steer the conversation away from horses for most of the evening. I didn't really want to hear his take on it considering his opinion of other things. He was telling me how he had taken lessons at a rehab farm and was put in charge of a rouge stallion (coughcougbullcoughshitcough). That the horse was trying to rear up one day and he grabbed his halter and looked him in the eye and everything was ok from there on out. That the horse was perfect....well except for that one time when he bit him but that was because he didn't pour his feed fast enough.

By now my fists are clenched and I'm politely trying to tell him that the horse actually taught HIM something not the other way around. He didn't get it at ALL. Then I am telling him about how that morning I had gone to teach a large draft mare how to pick up her feet and stand quietly for the farrier. He was lost, he said well you teach them to pick up their feet by making them move faster. I told him that I wasn't talking about a horse dragging their toes under saddle that I was talking about picking them up for grooming and trimming. He said he was too. UGH!

He will most likely call again but we are going to have to have the friends talk. I think I could get along with him as a friend but NOT as a relationship. At least this date was a step in the better direction.

4 comments:

Walk On said...

You are nicer than I am, I couldn't be bothered with him as a friend.

There are few things that turn me off more completely than a fake. And when it comes to horses, he's as fake as they come. He's probably fall off if his mount whinnied too hard.

I can respect people who say "I'm just starting to learn" or "I have questions", or even "that isn't my area, I don't know a lot about it", but the probelem with pretending to be an expert is that a real expert will see through it in seconds.

His mouth is writing checks that the rest of him can't cash. :P

PiaffePlease said...

I dont even know what to comment about. Maybe the dinner costing too much, or the answering the phone, or maybe the making the horse move faster/ feet thing. Gosh, I wouldnt even bother with him as a friend. Oh, the "looking the stallion in the eye" thing is the best, I had a good eyeroll with that one.

SweetPea said...

*Red flags flying everywhere*

Run for your life!!


36 & Single

Anonymous said...

He's rude AND a liar... don't waste your time, honey!